Laboratory of Technology of SHS Processes
In 1972, at the Institute of Chemical Physics of Academy of Sciences of Armenian SSR, thanks to the efforts of academicians A.B. Nalbandyan and A.A. Mantashyan, by the decision of the Government of Armenian SSR, a special sector was set up dedicated to the development of a new self-propagating high-temperature synthesis (SHS) method for synthesizing in Armenia of inorganic materials. The SHS method was created in 1967 by academician of Russian Academy of Sciences, A.G. Merzhanov in the Institute of Chemical Physics of USSR AS. Then, at the IChPh of AS of Arm. SSR, the Laboratory of High-Temperature Synthesis and Technology of Inorganic Compounds have been created. Since that time till present, the Laboratory works under leadership of Doctor of Technical Sciences Prof. S.K. Dolukhanyan.
Areas of scientific activity:
Chemical physics, combustion processes, self-propagating high-temperature synthesis of hydrides (SHS), materials science of refractory compounds, alloys, intermetallics and their hydrides.
Main scientific achievements of Laboratory:
- for the first time as a result of study of SHS processes in the metal-carbon systems, the synthesis of nonstoichiometric titanium carbides of various composition were realized.
- The combustion processes in the Me-Si and Ti/Zr-C-B systems has been studied systematically. Complex titanium and zirconium carbo-borides, and the MoSi2, Mo(Si,Al)2, TiSi2, ZrSi2, NbSi2, TaSi2 silicides have been synthesized. A technology for obtaining molybdenum disilicide MoSi2 and alumino-silicide Mo(Si,Al)2 has been developed.
- Сombustion of metals in hydrogen
- Thermal-radiation processes in Me-H systems
- Compacting of hydrides
- Development of new “Hydride cycle” method for synthesis of alloys and intermetallics of transition metals
- Synthesis of Max-Phases in “Hydride Cycle”
- Practical elaborations (Basic results in R&D)
Total number of employees – 12, of which:
Dr. Sci. – 1
PhD – 4
Researcher MS – 4
Senior engineer – 2
Laboratory assistant – 1